Monday, May 14, 2012

5/14/12

Taking a second to brag about my boys. I asked Lincoln if he thought he was old enough to go fetch the clothes out of the dryer all by himself. "Um, sure!" I watched him cheerfully run to grab the hamper, skip outside, cross the patio into our landlord's garage. All the while humming the Superman theme song. Boone ran out to "help." Oh dear Lord, what was going to happen next. I decided to keep my distance, peering out the window, and observe my little men interacting, half expecting I'd soon be breaking up yet another fight.

A few minutes later, Boone excitedly appeared, holding the screen door for his big brother. "Here, Wincoln, I got da door." There he was, my scrawny 4 year old. All I could see of him were his bare legs underneath the mound of clean sheets. When he finally made it inside the house, he shot me the look of pride and accomplishment for completing what to him was a big deal. It may not seem so to you, but for a tired mommy, when the children start doing chores and helping out joyfully? Big deal! Welled up with joy, I planted a big wet kiss on his cheek, while daddy rewarded him with an extra banana muffin. Eyes widened!!! He hadn't expected a reward. (These were major big deal treats today!) Boone looked at the muffin, than at me with sad eyes and a big bottom lip, "I held open the door." Before I had a chance to give him one, Lincoln broke his coveted muffin in half and gave it to his bother. "Mom! I'm turning into a good boy now!!! My heart is growing big! Like the grinch!"

No comments: