Friday, October 21, 2011

Blessings, not burdens!

Every time I go somewhere with my three boys, a minimum of two strangers stop me to make some comment. "Wow, you've definitely got your hands full!" or "Wow!  Three boys and you're running errands?  You're crazy!"  As if it's unheard of to take three kids under the age of four to a mall or grocery store by myself.  I politely smile and nod, "Yup, three boys!"  Often times I hear a response such as "Are you going to try for a girl?"  "Were you disappointed you didn't have a daughter?"  Let me just say, before these treasured tots joined my world, I'd always dreamed of a mini me, who I'd dress in pink frilly ensembles to match my own.  These past four years I've learned just how much fun little boys can be.  I mean, who wants a Polly Pocket if you can have a monster truck instead?  I wouldn't trade my boys for a million pink ruffles.

Another one I get a lot, "So, do you stay home full time?"  These strangers, who feel they need to question/comment on my life choices are either delighted for me (I don't know you!), or they will gasp and scold, "Why?  I don't know what I'd do if I'd have to stay home with mine all day!  Thank God for my nanny!"  I bite my tongue.  Don't get me wrong, I completely understand and support working moms, especially when they don't have the option during this economy.  I have been completely blessed to have a husband with a job that supports my first priority and most important title.  Mom.  I definitely need my breaks, mommy time, and girls nights out, but I rush home within a few hours, dreadfully missing their little faces.


In no way is this post intended to insinuate that my working mom friends aren't making their kids a priority.  Providing for your family is a HUGE priority and I am amazed how you can juggle it all.  I am mainly surprised at the mom's who hire nannies to raise their kids while they sit at the spa or go on shopping sprees.  I mean, why have kids if you don't want to raise them?  The most rewarding (and yes, often quite frustrating) thing I have found, is shaping these boys into the men they will become.  Every night I pray they will grow into honorable men of God with wisdom and integrity.  That they will have strong work ethics and always know their worth.  Not in man's eyes but in God's.  These next 14-18 years are vital, then they're off to take on this world and begin their independent lives.  I don't wanna miss any of the ride.

I would hate missing out on things like Lincoln informing me, "Mom, I just wish my name was Sparky."  Boone wanting to "Nuggle you for just a wittle bit wonger."  Little moments like these melt my heart and on the roughest day, they remind me just how blessed I am.

Wrestling and practicing gymnastics during a "Party Dance."

"Wook, Mommy!  I'n doing hiccups!" - Boone.

No comments: