Friday, April 18, 2014

To Dixie on your first birthday

To my little Dixie,

Today you are one. One whole year. For three hundred and sixty five glorious days, I've been your mom. I still get giddy when I tell people about "my daughter." The word still sounds surreal. You, my dear, are a longtime desire of my heart. My daughter. 

Just in this last month, your spirit has blossomed. Your laughter is contagious. No one is able to let you laugh alone, so we all join in! You are changing too much every day! Slow down! Although you're tiny, and you still wear clothes fitted for a 3 month old, your humor is beyond your age. Do I sense a leaning towards daddy's dry humor? Perhaps. I'm ok with that!

Oh my goodness, you are so girly! Dressing up in frilly skirts makes you squeal. And you are dramatic...your feelings get hurt, and you break out that lip quiver thing? I mean, come on! Who can keep from scooping you up when you combine that with those big, brown, eyes?

Sweet Dixie. You are both desired and adored. You will be forever cherished by us, someday by your husband, but most importantly, by Jesus. The strongest desire your dad and I share, is that you seek your praise and affirmation from Him. I hate to tell you this, little one, but people will hurt you. I wish I could protect your tender heart forever.  

In the hustle and busyness of this day, I promise to stop and be still with you. I admit, I am kind of obsessed with you. I'm sorry if the staring bugs you, but I can't promise it will stop anytime soon.

Hey, so let's put on your pink party dress and celebrate the color and joy you have brought to our family! It's your day, little one!!!! You are the cherry on our Gillespie sundae! 

Happy Birthday!
Mommy








No comments: